Product DescriptionThe next time you get sick, consider this before picking up the aspirin: your body may be doing exactly what it's supposed to. In this ground-breaking book, two pioneers of the science of Darwinian medicine argue that illness as well as the factors that predispose us toward it are subject to the same laws of natural selection that otherwise make our bodies such miracles of design. Among the concerns they raise:
When may a fever be beneficial?
Why do pregnant women get morning sickness?
How do certain viruses "manipulate" their hosts into infecting others?
What evolutionary factors may be responsible for depression and panic disorder?
Deftly summarizing research on disorders ranging from allergies to Alzheimer's, and form cancer to Huntington's chorea, Why We Get Sick, answers these questions and more. The result is a book that will revolutionize our attitudes toward illness and will intrigue and instruct lay person and medical practitioners alike.
- Used Book in Good Condition
Customers Who Bought This Item Also Bought
- Plague Time: The New Germ Theory of Disease
- The Journey of Man: A Genetic Odyssey (Princeton Science Library)
- The Beak of the Finch: A Story of Evolution in Our Time
- Essentials of Ecology
- Your Inner Fish: A Journey into the 3.5-Billion-Year History of the Human Body
- The Story of the Human Body: Evolution, Health, and Disease
- Catching Fire: How Cooking Made Us Human
- Living with Our Genes: The Groundbreaking Book About the Science of Personality, Behavior, and Genetic Destiny
- Good Reasons for Bad Feelings: Insights from the Frontier of Evolutionary Psychiatry
- Genesis: Translation and Commentary
*If this is not the "Why We Get Sick: The New Science of Darwinian Medicine" product you were looking for, you can check the other results by clicking this link. Details were last updated on Jan 16, 2023 03:32 +08.