In Being Mortal, bestselling author Atul Gawande tackles the hardest challenge of his profession: how medicine can not only improve life but also the process of its ending
Medicine has triumphed in modern times, transforming birth, injury, and infectious disease from harrowing to manageable. But in the inevitable condition of aging and death, the goals of medicine seem too frequently to run counter to the interest of the human spirit. Nursing homes, preoccupied with safety, pin patients into railed beds and wheelchairs. Hospitals isolate the dying, checking for vital signs long after the goals of cure have become moot. Doctors, committed to extending life, continue to carry out devastating procedures that in the end extend suffering.
Gawande, a practicing surgeon, addresses his profession's ultimate limitation, arguing that quality of life is the desired goal for patients and families. Gawande offers examples of freer, more socially fulfilling models for assisting the infirm and dependent elderly, and he explores the varieties of hospice care to demonstrate that a person's last weeks or months may be rich and dignified.
Full of eye-opening research and riveting storytelling, Being Mortal asserts that medicine can comfort and enhance our experience even to the end, providing not only a good life but also a good end.
Customers Who Bought This Item Also Bought
- How We Die: Reflections on Life's Final Chapter
- A Bittersweet Season: Caring for Our Aging Parents--and Ourselves
- Summary & Analysis of Being Mortal: Medicine and What Matters in the End | A Guide to the Book by Atul Gawande
- The Emperor of All Maladies: A Biography of Cancer
- Social Causes of Health and Disease
- The Checklist Manifesto: How to Get Things Right
- Complications: A Surgeon's Notes on an Imperfect Science
- Better: A Surgeon's Notes on Performance
- When Breath Becomes Air
- The Art of Dying Well: A Practical Guide to a Good End of Life
*If this is not the "Being Mortal: Medicine and What Matters in the End" product you were looking for, you can check the other results by clicking this link. Details were last updated on Jun 25, 2022 17:06 +08.