The prospect of entering treatment is overwhelming for anyone facing a diagnosis of cancer. While patients have access to a vast amount of medical information online, this advice is often unreliable or confusing. In Living with Cancer, Drs. Vicki A. Jackson and David P. Ryan have crafted the first step-by-step guide aimed at helping people with this life-defining disease grasp what’s happening to them while coping physically and emotionally with cancer treatment.
An empathetic resource full of relatable patient stories, this book teaches patients and caregivers how to ask the right questions to get the best possible care―beginning at the moment of diagnosis. Drs. Jackson and Ryan explain how to work with a team of doctors and nurse practitioners to minimize symptoms and side effects while living as fully as possible in the face of cancer. They relay important information about understanding prognosis, and they translate what doctors mean when they describe tests, treatments, and medical procedures. Finally, they discuss hospice care and answer questions about continuing treatment and managing the final phase of life.
Based on new research and a groundbreaking program in which patients are treated with palliative care―along with the best cancer care―during the course of their illness, this honest and caring book provides the right advice to use at the right time throughout a journey with cancer. It allows a person with cancer to concentrate on living the best life possible, despite an uncertain future. Patients at every stage will find Living with Cancer a comprehensive, thoughtful, and accessible guide for navigating the illness and its treatment.
- John Hopkins University Press
Customers Who Bought This Item Also Bought
- The Human Side of Cancer: Living with Hope, Coping with Uncertainty
- Life after the Diagnosis: Expert Advice on Living Well with Serious Illness for Patients and Caregivers
- Cancer: 50 Essential Things to Do: 2013 Edition
- The Cancer-Fighting Kitchen, Second Edition: Nourishing, Big-Flavor Recipes for Cancer Treatment and Recovery
- The Myeloma Survival Guide: Essential Advice for Patients and Their Loved Ones, Second Edition (Volume 2)
- Extreme Measures: Finding a Better Path to the End of Life
- Mastering Communication with Seriously Ill Patients: Balancing Honesty with Empathy and Hope
- Everyday Strength: A Cancer Patient's Guide to Spiritual Survival
- The Cancer Whisperer: Finding Courage, Direction, and the Unlikely Gifts of Cancer
- Radical Remission: Surviving Cancer Against All Odds
Share your thoughts
*If this is not the "Living with Cancer: A Step-by-Step Guide for Coping Medically and Emotionally with a Serious Diagnosis (A Johns Hopkins Press Health Book)" product you were looking for, you can check the other results by clicking this link.