Since the passage of Roe v. Wade, the debate over reproductive rights has dominated America’s courts, legislatures, and streets. The contributors to The Reproductive Rights Reader embrace reproductive justice for all women, but challenge mainstream legal and political solutions based on protecting free choice via neutral governmental policies, which frequently ignore or jeopardize the interests of women of color and the poor. Instead, the pieces in this interdisciplinary book—including both legal cases and articles by legal scholars, historians, sociologists, political scientists and others—favor a critical analysis that addresses the concrete material conditions that limit choices, the role of law and social policy in creating those conditions, and the gendered power dynamics that inform and are reinforced by the regulation of human reproduction.
The selections demonstrate that the right to choice isn’t an automatic guarantee of reproductive justice and gender equality; to truly achieve this ideal it is essential to recognize the complexity of women’s reproductive experiences and needs. Divided into four sections, the book examines feminist critiques of medical knowledge and practice; and the legal regulation of pregnancy termination, conception and child-bearing, and behavior during pregnancy.
- Used Book in Good Condition
Customers Who Bought This Item Also Bought
- Killing the Black Body: Race, Reproduction, and the Meaning of Liberty
- Trails of Hope and Terror: Testimonies on Immigration
- Dispatches from the Abortion Wars: The Costs of Fanaticism to Doctors, Patients, and the Rest of Us
- Disabled Rights: American Disability Policy and the Fight for Equality
- How All Politics Became Reproductive Politics: From Welfare Reform to Foreclosure to Trump (Reproductive Justice: A New Vision for the 21st Century)
- Heterosexism in Contemporary World Religion: Problem and Prospect
- Geisha of a Different Kind: Race and Sexuality in Gaysian America (Intersections)
- Prophetic Encounters: Religion and the American Radical Tradition
- Reproductive Rights and Wrongs: The Global Politics of Population Control
- Reproductive Justice: An Introduction (Reproductive Justice: A New Vision for the 21st Century)
Share your thoughts
*If this is not the "The Reproductive Rights Reader: Law, Medicine, and the Construction of Motherhood (Critical America)" product you were looking for, you can check the other results by clicking this link.