Product DescriptionAn inspiring collection of birth stories by a charming midwife.
Each time she knelt to “catch” another wriggling baby—nearly three thousand times during her remarkable career—California midwife Peggy Vincent paid homage to the moment when pain bows to joy and the world makes way for one more. With every birth, she encounters another woman-turned-goddess: Catherine rides out her labor in a car careening down a mountain road. Sofia spends hers trying to keep her hyper doctor-father from burning down the house. Susannah gives birth so quietly that neither husband nor midwife notice until there's a baby in the room.
More than a collection of birth stories, however, Baby Catcher is a provocative account of the difficulties that midwives face in the United States. With vivid portraits of courage, perseverance, and love, this is an impassioned call to rethink technological hospital births in favor of more individualized and profound experiences in which mothers and fathers take center stage in the timeless drama of birth.
- Used Book in Good Condition
Customers Who Bought This Item Also Bought
- Mothering the New Mother: Women's Feelings & Needs After Childbirth: A Support and Resource Guide
- When Survivors Give Birth: Understanding and Healing the Effects of Early Sexual Abuse on Childbearing Women
- Worth Every Penny: Build a Business That Thrills Your Customers and Still Charge What You're Worth
- Pushed: The Painful Truth About Childbirth and Modern Maternity Care
- Ina May's Guide to Childbirth
- Spiritual Midwifery
- Cut, Stapled, and Mended: When One Woman Reclaimed Her Body and Gave Birth on Her Own Terms After Cesarean
- Breastfeeding Made Simple: Seven Natural Laws for Nursing Mothers
- The Labor Progress Handbook: Early Interventions to Prevent and Treat Dystocia
- Optimal Care in Childbirth The Case for a Physiologic Approach
Share your thoughts
*If this is not the "Baby Catcher: Chronicles of a Modern Midwife" product you were looking for, you can check the other results by clicking this link.