Product DescriptionFor readers of Henry Marsh's Do No Harm, Paul A. Ruggieri's Confessions of a Surgeon, and Atul Gawande's Better, a pioneering surgeon shares memories from a life in one of surgery’s most demanding fields
The 1980s marked a revolution in the field of organ transplants, and Bud Shaw, M.D., who studied under Tom Starzl in Pittsburgh, was on the front lines. Now retired from active practice, Dr. Shaw relays gripping moments of anguish and elation, frustration and reward, despair and hope in his struggle to save patients. He reveals harshly intimate moments of his medical career: telling a patient's husband that his wife has died during surgery; struggling to complete a twenty-hour operation as mental and physical exhaustion inch closer and closer; and flying to retrieve a donor organ while the patient waits in the operating room. Within these more emotionally charged vignettes are quieter ones, too, like growing up in rural Ohio, and being awakened late at night by footsteps in the hall as his father, also a surgeon, slipped out of the house to attend to a patient in the ER.
In the tradition of Mary Roach, Jerome Groopman, Eric Topol, and Atul Gawande, Last Night in the OR is an exhilarating, fast-paced, and beautifully written memoir, one that will captivate readers with its courage, intimacy, and honesty.
Customers Who Bought This Item Also Bought
- Confessions of a Surgeon: The Good, the Bad, and the Complicated...Life Behind the O.R. Doors
- Trauma Room Two
- The Puzzle People: Memoirs Of A Transplant Surgeon
- Cook County ICU: 30 Years of Unforgettable Patients and Odd Cases
- When the Air Hits Your Brain: Tales from Neurosurgery
- Complications: A Surgeon's Notes on an Imperfect Science
- Hot Lights, Cold Steel: Life, Death and Sleepless Nights in a Surgeon's First Years
- Miracles & Mayhem in the ER: Unbelievable True Stories from an Emergency Room Doctor
- On Call: A Doctor's Days and Nights in Residency
- Blue Collar, Blue Scrubs: The Making of a Surgeon
Share your thoughts
*If this is not the "Last Night in the OR: A Transplant Surgeon's Odyssey" product you were looking for, you can check the other results by clicking this link.