Lifestyle Medicine: Lifestyle, the Environment and Preventive Medicine in Health and Disease, Third Edition, is an adjunct approach to health practice that seeks to deal with the more complex modern determinants of chronic diseases―primarily lifestyle and the environments driving such lifestyles―in contrast to the microbial ‘causes’ of infectious disease.
Our lifestyle choices have a profound effect on our health. As we live longer, one thing is clear: many of us will spend time living with injury and chronic illness due to our own choices. Changes in health patterns typically follow shifts in living conditions. Disease patterns have changed worldwide, from infectious to chronic diseases such as obesity, diabetes, and heart disease. This change has been so emphatic―nearly 70% of all presentations to a doctor in modern western societies are now chronic disease related―that medical services are being forced to change to accommodate this.
New chapters in this third edition explain the link between energy intake and expenditure; consider how modern technology are determinants of chronic disease; show how environmental influences, such as endocrine disruptors, influence our health; and summarize recent research on early childhood experiences and chronic disease.
- Explores the relationship between lifestyle and environmental drivers and the major modern chronic diseases
- Outlines the knowledge and skills bases required by health professionals to deal with lifestyle and environmental determinants of chronic disease, as well as the tools and procedures available for doing this
- Develops pedagogy for Lifestyle Medicine that will enable it to become a practical adjunct to conventional health and medical practice
- Features new chapters explaining the link between energy intake and expenditure, and more
- ACADEMIC PRESS
Customers Who Bought This Item Also Bought
- Integrative Medicine, 4e
- Motivational Interviewing: Helping People Change, 3rd Edition (Applications of Motivational Interviewing)
- Lifestyle Medicine: A Manual for Clinical Practice
- ACSM's Exercise Management for Persons with Chronic Diseases and Disabilities-4th Edition
- Introduction to Health Behavior Theory
- Nutrition for Health and Healthcare
- Coaching Psychology Manual
- Mosby's Manual of Diagnostic and Laboratory Tests, 5e
- How Not to Be My Patient: A Physician's Secrets for Staying Healthy and Surviving Any Diagnosis
- The Therapeutic Relationship in Complementary Health Care, 1e
Share your thoughts
*If this is not the "Lifestyle Medicine, Third Edition: Lifestyle, the Environment and Preventive Medicine in Health and Disease" product you were looking for, you can check the other results by clicking this link.